Jay Gibson, CPA – Manager
1. What year did you join JNR?
2. Where did you go to college?
Middle Georgia State University, Macon, GA
3. Why did you choose Jarrard, Nowell & Russell?
JNR chose me. I met Bill Jarrard through a group that rode road bikes. I ask him for some career advice since I had an accounting degree but was not currently working in the field. During our conversation, Bill asked if I would be interested in working the 2014 tax season to get some experience in public accounting and the rest is history.
4. What is your specialty at JNR and how do you go above and beyond to serve your clients?
Specialty? not sure if I really have one. I work in several service areas including tax preparation and advisory, audit and assurance, and client accounting services. In the last couple of years, I have worked on developing my own book of business, I have channeled my attention to working with small business owners from and tax and advisory role.
4. What do you enjoy most about living in Charleston?
The water!! My wife (Amanda) and I both really enjoy getting out on the water and saltwater fishing. Our 6-year-old daughter (James) has started to show interest as well, although, she does not have quite the attention span for a full day, so we usually find ourselves at the beach after an hour or so of fishing.
5. What book or movie do you recommend to others and why?
I am not a huge reader so I will go with the movie: Saving Private Ryan. I think a lot can be learned from that generation—they did whatever it took to survive. We are incredibly fortunate to have the opportunities we have in America today…I think a lot can be attributed to that generation. My grandfather was part of the Normandy D-Day invasion at 20 years old and stayed in Europe for the entire campaign to march into Berlin. Later in his life, he would share war stories with me and I was always fascinated. I can’t imagine being able to do that, ever, let alone at 20 years old. That movie helps remind me of how blessed I am.
6. What interesting fact would you most like your readers to know about you? I really enjoy hosting and cooking, specifically BBQ, for friends and family. I have a background in the hospitality industry and I guess that I have retained some of those skills. People often ask me why I am not a chef. I have worked with some great chefs and at a glance it seems great, but those guys work way too much for me……. every night, weekend, and holiday for the rest of your life. I would rather do it on my own time.